The Role of Institutions in the Revival of Trade: The Medieval Law Merchant (with Douglass North and Barry Weingast), Economics and Politics, 2, March 1990, 1-23.
- Reprinted in Trade in the Pre-Modern Period: 1400-1700, edited by Douglas Irwin, London: Edward Elgar Publishing, 1996.
- Reprinted in Reputation: Studies in the Voluntary Elicitation of Good Conduct, edited by Daniel B. Klein. Ann Arbor, University of Michigan Press, 1997.
- Reprinted in The Political Economy of Institutions, edited by Claude Ménard, London, Edward Elgar Publishing, 2004.
- Reprinted in International Institutions in the New Global Economy, edited by Lisa L Martin, London, Edward Elgar Publishing, 2005.
- Reprinted in Anarchy and the Law, edited by Edward Stringham, New Brunswick, New Jersey: Transaction Publishers, 2006.
- Reprinted in Social Norms, Non-Legal Sanctions, and the Law, edited by Eric A Posner, London, Edward Elgar Publishing, 2007.