2020 Nobel Prize Firsts and Lectures
In this pandemic year, Paul Milgrom and Bob Wilson received their Nobel prize medals and diplomas in an abbreviated ceremony in Paul's backyard on the morning of December 8. The discussion quickly turned to the sheer number of "firsts" associated with this Nobel prize in economics.
- It was the first to be awarded outdoors and the first outside of Stockholm.
- It was the first economics prize awarded to a student (Paul) with his disseration adviser (Bob).
- It was the first awarded jointly to two people living across the street from one another.
- Paul became the first to give TWO Nobel prize lectures, having already lectured on behalf of Vickrey in 1996.
- The backyard ceremony was held behind a residence that had housed two economics laureates (Paul Milgrom & Joe Stiglitz), plus 3-time SuperBowl winning coach Bill Walsh!
Also ununsual is that, by focusing on Paul's auction contributions, the Nobel Committee had left unmentioned ten of Paul's twelve most highly cited publications.